Monday, April 6, 2015

Recipe Monday: Quiche with Roasted Butternut Squash

Hi everyone! Happy Monday! I'm Kelly. I am one of the Massachusetts reps, and I write A Lovely Life, Indeed

For Easter, my parents joined my husband and me and my mother-in-law for brunch. Like last year, I made a roasted tomato and goat cheese quiche.  But this year, I added a quiche made with roasted butternut squash, caramelized shallots and pancetta, and goat cheese. 

Delicious!

Here's what I did. 

Quiche with roasted squash, caramelized shallots and pancetta, and goat cheese.

2 cups of roasted butternut squash
8 ounces of crumbled goat cheese, split into 2-4oz. portions.
3 shallots, minced
3 ounces of diced pancetta
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups of half and half or whole milk (I used half and half.)
1 pie crust (I used pre-made refrigerated pie crusts.)
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Here's how I made it.
  • Preheat the oven to 400. 
  • Peel and cut your squash into bite size pieces. I used the pre-cut squash from the supermarket. 
  • Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Use just enough olive oil to keep the squash from sticking. 
  • Spread into a single layer onto a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for about 30 minutes. Then set aside in a medium sized bowl. 

  • For the quiche shell, I used a 9" deep dish pie plate. If I had a tart pan, I would have used it. But, the pie plate worked just fine. *If you do use the tart pan or tart shell, halve the custard (eggs and half and half or whole milk)
  • Spread the pie dough into your pie plate. Use dried beans, pie weights or prick with a fork so that the dough doesn't rise. Pre-bake the pie shell for 10-15 minutes. 

  • In a small sauté pan, add the pancetta and minced onion in about 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil. Cook until brown and caramelized, about 10 minutes, more or less. 
  • Add the pancetta and shallots to the squash. Mix well. 


Starting to cook it down.

  • Add about 4 ounces of goat cheese to the squash mixture. 
  • Put mixture into empty cooked pie shell. 
  • Beat the eggs and yolks well. Add the half and half and continue to beat until frothy. 
  • Pour the egg mixture over the squash mixture in the cooked pie shell. 
  • Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes, or until the custard is set. 
  • Do not eat right away. Allow the custard to set up. Eat at room temperature or slightly above. 


I served the quiches with roasted asparagus, French bread and an arugula salad:
And jelly beans...just because. 

I like the pink and white ones...eaten together though. What's your favorite?



Did you host or attend an Easter feast? What was on your menu?



Thank you to Northeast Bloggers Network for letting me guest post. If you're looking for an upbeat blog about love, travel and the good life, visit me at A Lovely Life, IndeedHave a great week!





Connect with us!
Twitter Pinterest Facebook Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!