Monday, June 17, 2013

NE Life:
Summer in Connecticut!




I am often asked how our family wound up in Connecticut. I like to cause Connecticut the compromise state…I grew up in New Jersey, my husband grew up in Massachusetts. Connecticut was in the middle! Luckily, it has been the perfect place to raise our family. Summer in Connecticut is amazing as well, and I am so excited to share some of our places which are on our “top five places to revisit” list this summer. 
  
Jones Family Farm, Shelton, CT
We love visiting Jones Family Farm to pick our own fresh strawberries in June and blueberries in July. I love to make this a family adventure – but always see couples, groups of friends, or individuals out there picking the delicious fruits! 


Beardsley Zoo, Bridgeport Connecticut
The Beardsley Zoo is Connecticut’s only zoo. While it is not a large zoo – it is packed with great exhibits, and the kids love it. Some favorite areas are the prairie dog hill, where the kids can climb through the tunnels and get up close and personal with the prairie dogs! My children also love the farm area…and we never leave without a stop at the carousel.  This summer they are also starting Camel Rides – I can’t wait to go and check those out!

Now we love to be outside in the summer, but let’s be honest, sometimes we have to go inside! On those super hot days, or the time where we just need a break from the heat, one of our favorite places to visit is the Norwalk Aquarium. Our favorite exhibits are the meerkats, and the seals.


The Stamford Museum and Nature center is a wonderful place to go to really sit back and enjoy, well, nature! Trails to walk on, a peaceful meadow for a nice picnic, animals….a favorite spot here is the Otter Pond. Who doesn’t love those little otters?

Nothing says summer like ice cream!  Ferris Acres is the last working dairy farm in CT. The ice cream is made onsite…and it is truly amazing. We have been known to go for ice cream, and take home an ice cream cake to enjoy after the visit. Love sitting back, eating ice cream, and watching the cows. Perfect perfect summer treat!

Have you been to any of the places above? What do you think?
Do you have any favorite places in Connecticut to add to this list? 


Connect with us!
BloglovinTwitterEmailRSSPinterestFacebook

Today's guest post comes from Dana of Mastering Mommy Brain.   Dana is a Northeast Blogger who has two adorable children and dreams that one day she will have a clean and orderly house!

2 comments:

  1. I was born in New Haven, CT but moved to Philadelphia when I was 6 weeks old. So needless to say, I haven't made it back to CT. I guess my favorite place would be Yale-New Haven Medical Center, since that is where I was brought into this world!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Connecticut for 2 years while I was in graduate school at Quinnipiac in Hamden, CT. I have to say that I absolutely loved it there. I grew up in Philadelphia, so I never got to see a lot of greenery outside of parks and suburbia. Connecticut was such a breath of fresh air. I still rave about how beautiful it was there, with all the trees and mountains in the distance. My favorite places while there was Sleeping Giant State Park and the West Haven beach. Many people may not think that that beach is spectacular, but I love the water, and being so close to it was amazing!... I also loved my trip to Port Jefferson, NY on the Bridgeport ferry. I blogged about all of my time in CT. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!