Thursday, January 8, 2015

New Year's Continue-loutions

 someecards

Happy New Year, peeps!

It's January, and it means that we are in the season of New Year's Resolutions. We make long lists of all of our faults and promise ourselves that this crap just will not go on. No more snacking too much, smoking to many. No kissing bad dates or arguing with our spouses. We'll sleep more, gym more, kale more. Our children will have organized closets and healthy, cute bento boxes every day for lunch. We will become our best versions of ourselves. New Year, New Us!

Pfffft.

Not to say that everyone is incapable of following through with a New Year's Resolution. There are folks who can steadfastly stick to whatever plan they made. Even those of us who don't fully follow the resolution but still make some positive changes are a success in my book. But let's face it: the gym is a LOT less crowded in February, right? So, what is there do offer those who have room for improvement but even less room for willpower?

In my case, I have decided to make a list of the things that I did right in 2014 and just keep on doing them. I am going to go Resolution Free, and hope instead that continuing my few good habits will bring about some new ones, but with less pressure. The New Years tends to make one think that there is only room for improvement, but I had to have done something right last year. Right?

I got out a pen and paper and thought it over. I did learn to make some yummy dishes (thank you, Pinterest!). Check. I advocated for my sons special needs and made sure he received the best education and therapy possible. Check. I ran my first 5k. Check. These were all things that did not start out as resolutions but were positive factors in my life nonetheless. How could making a resolution to just keep right on doing them be a bad thing?

So if you haven't made your resolutions yet, good for you! Forget 'em! Instead, concentrate on all of the things you're already doing right and just keep on doing them!

Bring it, 2015!

Brie Latini is a thirty-something mother, wife, sister, daughter, friend, and fan of guilty-pleasure television. She currently lives in Collingswood, NJ with her husband Pete and son PJ. A work-a-holic turned stay-at-home-mom, Brie is enjoying her emerging second career as a writer as it now gives her a better excuse to pass on housework (“You load the dishwasher; I have to write!”). Brie’s work has been featured at Jersey Moms Blog, Mamalode, and MetroKids Magazine Online. You can read more about Brie’s journey through life as the mother of a special-needs child at her personal blog, {...a breezy life}.


Connect with us!
Twitter Pinterest Facebook Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this! So true, forget resolutions just keep on working on what you plan everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! I was afraid of the opposite perspective, which would be "Make some damn changes, you lazy wretch!!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!