Thursday, October 31, 2013

Apple Pie Apples by Meg!

Hello Northeasterners!  I'm Meg and I blog over at Borrowed Heaven.

Borrowed Heaven

 As one of the Connecticut state reps for NE Bloggers, I obviously love blogging, but when I'm not behind a computer, I'm living with my fiancee and our cat, loving all things chocolate, and spending my time taking photos, running, diy-ing our house, and planning our wedding.  I've recently acquired a new appreciation for fall, so I thought I'd share with you one of my favorite original recipes: 
 
Apple Pie Apples.  
This recipe makes two apples.

Ingredients:
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 Macoun apple
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon melted butter
- Store bought pie crust

Directions:
1. Use a paring knife to cut the top off the Granny Smith apples.  [I use my pumpkin carving technique of cutting towards the center and pulling the top off.  
 
2. Use a spoon to carve out all the seeds and interior of the apple, making sure not to puncture the sides.  Save any large, usable pieces of the Granny Smith in a bowl, off to the side, for the filling. [Again, think about scooping out a pumpkin.]
 
 
3. Use the paring knife to perfect the circle top of the Granny Smiths and set cored-out apples aside.
4. Peel and slice the Macoun apple into small bite-size pieces.
5. Combine the usable Granny Smith and Macoun together in a bowl.
6. Add the sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the apples and mix.  Set the mixture aside.
 
 
7. On a cutting board, roll out the pie crust and cut it into thin strips.  
8. Lay the strips out in a  3x3 or 4x4 lattice pattern [depending on the width].
 
 
9. Pour the apple/sugar/cinnamon mixture into the cored-out Granny Smiths and place the pie crust on top.  
10. Brush the melted butter all over the top of each apple.
11. Place the apples in a glass baking dish with an inch of water at the bottom.  Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
 


Thanks for reading!  If you enjoyed this and love to bake, you might like Kitchen Mix Up, a link up with fellow Northeast Blogger Amanda at MandaLoves.  Check out more of my favorite recipes here or just stop by and say hello! 
Thanks Meg!  This looks amazing and a perfect recipe for Halloween Day!!

Connect with us!
BloglovinTwitterEmailRSSPinterestFacebook

6 comments:

Thanks for your comment!