Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Blog of the Week: Amy Buchner, Ph.D.

Welcome to the blog of the week!  This week we interviewed Amy who writes the blog Amy Buchner, Ph.D., about her blog and life in the Northeast.  Meet Amy:

Tell us a little about you:
I'm a psychologist, runner, traveler, cook, and cat-lover living in Boston. I work in the health technology field and focus on helping people become healthier and happier. I recently found out I will be able to run the 2015 Boston Marathon as a member of the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge team, and am psyched about it. For a lifelong Bostonian, this is really an amazing opportunity. As someone whose family has been repeatedly touched by cancer (and in many cases treated at Dana-Farber), I'm also thrilled to be able to support a cause I really believe in. When I'm not marathon training, I love reading fiction, watching whatever tv show I'm binging on, trying new foods and drinks, and planning vacations. My husband and I recently went to Turkey and now I'm looking for my next big destination.

What is your blog about? 
My blog mixes posts about psychology (especially motivation and changing health behaviors), running, and my hobbies of cooking, reading, drinking, and travel. I'd say about 60% of the posts are about psychology topics. My job involves applying psychological concepts to technology design, so I write often about issues in that area. I also think a lot about motivation, and how to keep people engaged in a new behavior over the long term. This is what I do for work, but it also interests me in the context of my own journey as a runner. I went from being someone who was convinced I could never run to someone now training for her second marathon. My life really changed as I experimented with running and developed confidence that I could do it. If I can help other people take these kind of academic psychological topics and improve their lives with them, I'll be happy.

What do you love most about blogging?
I love to write, and I love having a reason to do it. I have never been one to keep a journal, and even on my blog I don't tend to get too personal, but there's something about writing my thoughts that helps me to clarify them. I also think knowing I have a writing outlet makes me more observant in my daily life, as I look for stories and experiences that might make an interesting post.

What is your favorite form of social media?
I'm a Twitter fan, because I find I can get much more targeted content than other social media channels. I keep separate Twitter accounts for my professional and personal personas, and find that a bit of a struggle. I find myself spending more time on my personal account (@aybee24) but have more meaningful conversations on the professional one (@amybphd).

What is your favorite spot to visit in the Northeast?
I guess I can't say Boston, since I live there, right? I'll pick Philly, then. I travel into that area for work a lot, and when I'm lucky, I actually get to stay in the city. I think Philadelphia doesn't get enough credit for the quality of the food there. I love going to the Reading Terminal Market for lunch, and then picking a restaurant downtown for dinner. Philadelphia also has a similar mix of history and modernity to Boston, and a great running path along the Schuylkill River. 

Where do you live and what do you love about it?
I live in Boston, where I was born. It just feels like home to me. I love that it's a cosmopolitan city but also small enough to walk end-to-end in an afternoon. I think Boston is incredibly beautiful, between the historical sites, modern architecture, and pockets of nature. I guess I am a typical Bostonian in that whenever anyone says anything negative about the city, I find myself ready to defend it. There are things I'd want to improve, of course, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Thanks Amy!  Be sure to visit her blog this week and follow her on social media!

Check out a few of Amy's posts:

Connect with us!
Twitter Pinterest Facebook Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!