Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Gifts from the Kitchen: Chocolate Covered Cherries

Hi everyone! Happy Tuesday!

I'm Kelly. I am one of the Massachusetts reps, and I write A Lovely Life, Indeed
Like everyone in my family, my dad has a sweet tooth. I remember many Christmases with Queen Anne cordial cherries. He loved them...the dark chocolate variety. 

One year, I decided that I could make those homemade. Merry Christmas, Dad!

These chocolate covered cherries, are easy to make, yet a little labor intensive. 

But they're for my dad, and he's worth it. 


Dad's Chocolate Covered Cherries

3 tbs. of butter*, softened
3 tbs. of light corn syrup
2 cups of sifted powdered sugar
2 jars of maraschino cherries, with stems
2 bags of dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips (or your choice of chocolate)


  1. Drain the cherries and let sit in a colander to dry out a bit. 
  2. Mix the softened butter with the corn syrup and then add to the powdered sugar. Mix into a fondant dough.
  3. Break off a small piece of fondant, roll into a ball and then flatten into a small disk. Wrap each cherry in the fondant and put onto a wax-paper lined cookie sheet.  Then chill for 1-2 hours, until hardened. 


4. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Be careful not to splash water into the chocolate, or it will seize up and make it virtually unusable. You can also melt it in the microwave, according to the package directions.

5. Dip each fondant-wrapped cherry into the chocolate and put back onto a clean wax-paper lined cookie sheet.


6. Let them chill overnight before packaging them up. 

**Butter is a necessary component. Without it, the fondant doesn't hold together and you have a sticky, gooey mess. 

They're ridiculously sweet, but yummy nonetheless! Enjoy!

Thank you to Northeast Bloggers Network for letting me guest post. If you're looking for an upbeat blog about love, travel and the good life, visit me at A Lovely Life, IndeedHave a great weekend!


Connect with us!
Twitter Pinterest Facebook Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. oh gosh these look incredible! I have to make these when I bake more holiday cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're sooo good, Jessica. Sweet, but delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, Rebecca. They're fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Queen Anne cordials. My father was nuts about those as well. Haven't has them in over 10 years, but the fact that your father also loved them made me laugh. Such a manly dessert, apparently!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!