Thursday, April 25, 2013

NE Life:
Living and Working in the Hudson Valley


In 1998, I took a solo trip around the United States and my last destination was the Omega Institute in Rhinebeck, NY. I had found out about it while working at Borders Books and Music when I opened a box that was full of Omega catalogs. This was summer 1997. 
After my Intro Weekend in ‘98, I realized over the winter that going back would be good for me. I applied for a seasonal position and was hired to work in the kitchen for the ‘99 season.
Working at Omega is definitely it’s own world. It’s often referred to as ‘the Omega bubble’ by those who work there. You are nearly 10 miles from town (Rhinebeck) and a little country store is about two miles away which many stop at while walking around the lake. Farmland and rolling hills calm the mind and soothe the spirit on these serene walks or bike rides.
I used to bike into town once a week or so, just to get back into the world, read a newspaper or see a movie. I could usually get there in under an hour and never got tired of it. Just thinking about it, makes me want to relocate there.
Charming Towns
The Hudson Valley is known for its quaint and picturesque towns and villages. Well kept, and lots to see, villages like Rhinebeck, Woodstock, New Paltz and many others are sprinkled throughout. Ideal for shopping, eating, site seeing, festivals and much more--you are sure to enjoy your time there.
One of the most memorable sites I visited was the Mohonk Mountain House. I couldn’t believe it when I saw it. “How was this built!?” I asked myself. It’s such a magical structure, but something you rarely hear about. I haven’t been there in over ten years, but it still stands out. And New Paltz is a little over five miles away, so if you want to enjoy night life in a college town, you can. 
Back at Omega
If you haven’t been to Omega, I highly recommend you go. Either to work during the season (May-October) or take one of the weekend or week long workshops. It opened up a new way of being for me and have nothing but fond memories. The last time I worked there was 2003 and have only been by once or twice to visit. The good thing is it’s only about 75 miles away. When I’m ready for a relaxation period, that’s where I’ll go.

Do you have a post about life in the Northeast you'd like to have featured on North East Bloggers Network?  Please email it to us!
Connect with us!
BloglovinTwitterEmailRSSPinterestFacebook

Today's guest post comes from Ryan. Ryan is a North East blogger living in New York and the founder of Calaban.

1 comment:

  1. I went to college in the Hudson Valley, and Rhinebeck was just a short drive away. It is SO beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!